Leftovers and others

Started by Dave, May 08, 2015, 08:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

1. Leftover yoghurt can be used in cake or scone recipes instead of milk. 

2. Dried up cheese scraps minced with onion blend into a good spread. 

3. Wash potato peelings, sprinkle with salt, pepper, chilli or your favourite spice and crisp them in the oven to make a cheap and tasty snack. 

4. When part boiling potatoes to roast, cut more than required which can then be put into bags and frozen; if frozen open on tray it is easier to extract the number required. These can then be defrosted and roasted in the normal manner.  I believe they can be roasted from frozen but they will take a little longer than usual.  This not only saves time but it also makes full use of electricity and means that they are always on hand which is especially useful when living alone.  Should be used within one month of freezing. 

5. Surplus apples can be peeled, sliced and stewed and then frozen.  Can be reheated and used with ice cream, or used as pie fillings etc.  Alternatively they can be sliced and then quickly blanched in boiling water and then frozen in a single layer before packing into bags.   

6. Very ripe tomatoes make a wonderful homemade tomato sauce which can be used on pizza or pasta. Slow-cook with onions, garlic, herbs and sugar.   

7. Stale bread can be refreshed by sprinkling with water, then reheat in a moderate oven. 

8. Bread crusts can be used for breadcrumbs to be used in stuffings, as toppings on casseroles or to 'flesh' out some mince (see above) to make it go further.  The end crusts can be made into garlic bread fingers by toasting on one side, spread garlic butter on the untoasted side and then place under a hot grill.  Cut into fingers. 

9. Food processors can be used to transform leftovers into soups, sauces or baby foods. 

10. Cheaper cuts of meat e.g. beef flank, shin, middle neck, blade and belly of pork etc. are delicious if cooked long and slow.
If you want play quizzes or games click below

Skhilled

Quote from: Dave on May 08, 2015, 08:18:47 AM
6. Very ripe tomatoes make a wonderful homemade tomato sauce which can be used on pizza or pasta. Slow-cook with onions, garlic, herbs and sugar.   

10. Cheaper cuts of meat e.g. beef flank, shin, middle neck, blade and belly of pork etc. are delicious if cooked long and slow.
I make a big batch of a basic tomato sauce in a slow cooker then portion it into freezer bags and mark them for what I wish to use them for and freeze them for later use. I can then defrost, season, and cook it as needed for the recipe I'm using.

You must slow cook or braise cheaper cuts of meat for make them tender. They take longer to cook but are more flavorful and well worth the effort.