Brats with Reduced Beer - Insanity or Sheer Genious???

Started by Skhilled, April 08, 2017, 07:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Most people grill their brats then put them in a pan of warm beer, onions, etc. to keep them warm as well as flavor them a bit. Personally, I think it's a waste of beer cause you end up throwing it all out and it doesn't flavor the sausages much at all!

I usually cook my brats like I do my sausage links. I add the sausage to a pan with 1/4 cup of liquid...broth, water, wine, etc. I cook them slowly until then juices cook out and you are left with just the sausages and oil. I leave them in the pan until they brown. This gives them a very tender interior but a caramelized and crispy exterior skin.

However, this time I was thinking outside of the box. What if I cooked then as usual with a twist. I added the brats to the pan and almost covered them with beer. I used Budweiser since that is what I was drinking at the time. :biggrin

I added the following:

1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup each red wine and chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste. Remember! Use sparingly since after the liquids reduce they will highly concentrate the flavors. You can always re-season it later.

I cooked it until all of the juices became a thick glaze. WOW! That was really good!!!

I made them again a few days later. And left out a few of the ingredients and it still was pretty tasty. I'll have to experiment later and come up with a good recipe.

Dave

Ok you now have to tell us Brits what 'brats' are please?
If you want play quizzes or games click below

Skhilled

Sorry, bratwurst...German sausages. We just call them brats for short. The ones in the stores here are only made with pork unless you go to a specialty shop then they're made with beef, pork and veal as they should be.

Dave

Ah I see, I did wonder if that's what it was but I didn't want to assume
If you want play quizzes or games click below